Catch up on the details for JM's Class of 2020 Graduation Ceremony.
Dear JM Seniors and Families,
While we know that graduation won’t be the same this year we hope that you are as excited as we are to celebrate your achievement with our drive up graduation planned for Friday, May 29, from 2:00 – 7:00 PM! As we get closer to the big day we want to be sure you have all the information you need.
Here are some important details:
- Graduation will run from 2:00 – 7:00 PM
- Graduates should have a family member drive them to/through the graduation. In other words, graduates should not drive themselves. However, graduates are welcome to have as many family members with them as their vehicle safely allows.
- Graduates should wear their caps and gowns to graduation. Please wear appropriate clothing with your cap and gown (just like at our traditional graduation). Make sure your tassel is to the right!
- Students will check in to graduation as they enter the Circle Drive in front of the school. Graduates, at check in, you’ll be asked for your name as you would like it to be announced. If you prefer to stay in your car to receive your diploma, please let us know this at check in.
- When you arrive at the front of the school, graduates may exit the car once it’s safely stopped. Graduates, your name will be announced and you may proceed to the front door area to receive your diploma. You may receive this directly from JM school administration or, if you prefer to remain contactless, it will be placed on a stand for you to receive.
- Graduates, once you’ve received your diploma, will cross your tassel from right to left, a photographer will capture the moment, and you will return to your car to exit the graduation.
- John Marshall teachers and staff will be lining the circle and drive to the gymnasium to cheer our graduates on!
- RPS staff will be compiling video footage of the event and adding this to a longer JM graduation video that will include speeches and other important graduation memories.
- In the event of rain, graduation would be moved to the following day, Saturday, May 30, again from 2:00-7:00. This would be announced via Skyward messaging.
Traffic and Directions:
At cap and gown pick up, there was a bit of a line as graduates waited to receive their caps and gowns. We expect the same at graduation. To alleviate traffic concerns, we ask that graduates and their families follow the attached map.
Graduates and their families should travel north up the frontage road west of the school, turn right on to 14th St., and proceed to the entrance of the school (marked “A” on the map). Graduates and their families should plan to stop briefly at the entrance to the Circle (marked “B” on the map) to check in. From there, you will be directed to the front of the school/Door One (marked “C” on the map) for the drive up graduation ceremony. Once complete, you will proceed through the Circle, past the Gym Entrance, and exit through the student lot. Please turn right onto 14th St. (marked “D” on the map) to exit the graduation.
Note: We ask that you turn right and head east as you leave in order to alleviate cross-traffic. Also, we ask that you exit the lot completely and do not gather in the student lot as we wish to avoid traffic and maintain social distancing.